We are over halfway through the month of horror, and I’m really having a blast meeting more horror authors and discovering new dark reads for my Kindle app. Which one have you enjoyed the most so far?
Today we have an interview with author Mary Dean, and her newest book to release today, Witch House. Enjoy!
I’m so excited it’s October. Thank you for letting me interview you.
Today we are sitting down with Mary Dean to talk about Witch House and what makes her tick.
So, you’re a horror author. When did you first realize you loved horror?
- When I was a child. My dad and I used to watch the classic horror movies. I loved them. Then as I got older we would watch the more adult horror movies. I loved the fear aspect of them and the good scary fun.
What came first? The horror movie or a scary story? Tell me about it.
- Horror movie. That’s where my horror obsession started. Then as I became a big reader I loved reading fun scary stories.
(Interviewer comments: I don’t really remember. I’m sure The Exorcist had something to do with it, but mostly for me it was because my dad said it was bad and unacceptable to read, so of course I had to!)
There are so many different types of horror, how do you decide what to write?
- Witch House is my first horror story and won’t be my last. Stephanie Nichole, who I wrote the story with, and I bonded over our love for anything paranormal. Witch House is a young adult book but you can expect more adult horror stories from me (and maybe even us) in the future.
What is the hardest part of writing horror for you?
- I don’t really find anything hard about it. The promotion is the hard part. Not everyone likes scary stories.
Do you dress up for Halloween? Do you go all out with the haunted graveyard, smoke, and creepy music for trick or treaters, or do you just like the candy?
- I dress up for a family Halloween party. It’s a blast. We usually do it the Saturday before or after Halloween. All Halloween season my best friend Korin and me like to find the local haunted house mazes. We are always looking for something spooky. Then Halloween day we try and go trick or treating with my step daughter but it depends on my husband’s work schedule. I do like to be home and hand out candy too. I love seeing the costumes. The first weekend of October is decorate for Halloween time with my husband and my step daughter. My husband isn’t too big on Halloween but my step daughter and me are and we love to full on decorate. We keep it mild for the little trick or treaters.
Has becoming a horror author made you more afraid or less afraid of the world around you?
- The world is still the same to me. Horror stories don’t make me afraid of the world or the unknown. Yes, it’s fun. I was never one to be afraid to sleep or anything after watching a horror movie or reading a horror story. But that doesn’t mean I don’t believe.
Who is your favorite horror author and which book of theirs is the one that sealed it for you?
- Stephanie Nichole and my friendship started because I was a fan of her books. She has a duet about Blood Mary (Becoming Bloody Mary & Breaking Bloody Mary). It is my favorite horror book(s). She is a great horror author (plus other genres). That’s why it was so much fun writing Witch House with her!
Do you listen to music while you write? What’s on your horror playlist?
- I’ll be honest. I am not one to listen to music while I write. I am such a lover of music that I won’t concentrate on what I’m writing. I’ll get lost in the music.
And finally, what three pieces of advice would you give a fledgling horror writer?
- Just write. Don’t worry too much about if it’s right or not. Just write it all out and edit later.
- Write what scares you. Think about what you would enjoy in a horror novel. This is your chance to write the story you want to read.
- Have fun! Writing horror is so much fun. It’s a blast to get lost in the scary story.
Title: Witch House
Authors: Mary Dean & Stephanie Nichole
Genre: YA Horror
Buy link: https://books2read.com/Witch-house
Ellery’s life has been turned upside down. Her mother passed away, her dad lost his job, and Now they are moving to her grandmother’s creepy old house. A house that has a reputation for being known as the Witch House. She laughs it off, but quickly finds out it’s more than just small town gossip.
Skylar has lived across the street from the Witch House his entire life. He even has a reason to believe the gossip spread around his small town about the old house, but when Ellery shows up, he finds himself constantly entering the place he’s feared, all because of her.
Together will they be able to defeat the evil that lurks in Witch House or will it claim them too?
She looks like she is deciding if she wants to tell me. I look into her eyes. She looks back in mine. I hope she sees that she can trust me. After a minute that feels like forever she clears her throat. “I saw a face in the mirror. But then it was gone. Then I heard voices. I thought it was my dad but I was the only one home. Suddenly I felt someone touch my shoulder and I ran.”
I nodded. I didn’t think she was crazy. I believed her. Like I believed all the stories I heard in town about her house. The Witch House. Sure most of them were just rumors. But I believed in ghost stories. They came from some sort of truth in my mind. But I wasn’t about to tell her everything I had heard now. She was far too freaked out.
About the Author
Mary Dean is a wife, step mother, blogger and author from Orange County, California. She has been a bookworm since she learned to read at a young age. Her life long dream was to share her stories and enjoy them with others as she is also a fan of so many authors. When she is writing she can be found with her nose in a book, enjoying time with her family and friends, trying to stay active, watching a movie or rocking out to music preferably a live concert. She is also a blogger for Rabid Readers Book Blog. She loves to interact with other reading fans.
Connect with Mary Dean:
Newsletter sign up: http://eepurl.com/guhSWH
Reader group: https://www.facebook.com/
Reviewer group: https://www.facebook.com/
Get Fit & Healthy Journey Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/
Kingston Author Page: http://www.kingstonpublishing.