Mac N Cheese Soup
I know it’s supposed to be spring, but as I write this today, it is snowing here in Ohio. It’s also still on the chilly side as we wait for warmer temps to come our way. I’ve got hot food on my mind. Yummy goodness in a ladle. Seriously. And the kids liked it too. I put a little too much cheese in it and it became too thick, but otherwise it was yummy!!
- 2 32 oz pkg reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 box Dreamfields rotini shaped pasta (or your favorite pasta)
- 2 16 oz bags frozen broccoli, cauliflower, and carrot blend
- 4 tbsp unbleached wheat flour
- 3 cups low-fat milk
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese (I used about 5 when I made it)
- Seasonings I added to taste: salt & pepper (Emerils, Tony Chachere's)
- In a large saucepan, bring broth to a boil over high heat. Add pasta. Return to a boil. Reduce heat and let simmer, uncovered for about 5 minutes. Add vegetables. Cook until pasta and vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes more.
- Combine milk and flour in a sealable container; shake well to combine. Stir into pasta mixture. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Gradually add the cheese, stirring until cheese melts.