I am so honored to be among so many talented women horror writers. Today, I’m sharing one of my favorites, with a series I absolutely can’t put down. I have the distinct privelege of sitting down in an interview with Death, the daughter of Chaos, from the Saga of the Outer Seas series.
Name: Death, Daughter of Chaos
Occupation: Goddess of Death
Age: Stopped counting after several millennia
- What do you consider your greatest achievement? – My long reign over the Realm of Eternal Night. From the first breath of my mother, Chaos, that spun it into life, I ruled uncontested and all bowed before me. I was feared and loved, respected and obeyed. Until Ulerne came and brought his accursed Light.
- What is your best physical feature? – My cold, black eyes. They truly bring out the frigid depths of my soul.
- What is your most treasured possession? – The wing bone of a Dragon. In my youth, I battled the creature for fun, snapped off its wing and slew it with its own claw and bone. I kept the improvised weapon as a souvenir.
- What or who is the greatest love of your life? – The creature called Shadow Bird, Dreamwalker, or the Nightmare Crow. Whatever you wish to call him, he is the only creature that stole my heart completely. And then broke it just as completely.
What is your favorite journey? – My first walk from my mother’s side to my new realm. I remember the anticipation, recall each step, even now after so many eons.
- What is your most marked characteristic? – My ability to kill. I can steal your soul and shrivel your flesh and bones and there is nothing you can do to stop me.
- Define happiness and share your happiest memory. – Happiness is complete control. I was never happier than when I walked the Realm of Eternal Night reaping the souls of the dead. Ah, the feasting, the screams, and their pitiful attempts to escape. Such fond memories.
- What is it that you most dislike? – Light. Such a horrid thing. I much prefer the dark.
- What is your greatest fear? – Being alone.
- What is your greatest extravagance? – My throne. I fashioned it from the bones and sinew of dead creatures and the echoing screams of shadows. It took me many years to complete.
- Who do you most despise? – Ulerne. May fate curse him and his Light. He is a vile thing and I hate him. He ruined my life, my contentment.
- What is your greatest regret? – Not saving my son, Ashetus, from his fate. I should have seen his madness, but I let regret, affection, and pride blind me to his flaws.
- Which talent would you most like to have? – I would like to have a singing voice. I try to sing the war ballads, but things tend to shake apart and decay. A few creatures have even dissolved. So I don’t sing anymore.
- What is the trait you most deplore in yourself? – I deplore nothing in myself, why would I do that?
- What do you most value in your friends? – I have no friends. I never saw the purpose. I prefer subjects.
- Who do you most admire? – My mother, Chaos.
- What do you consider the most overrated virtue? – Mercy. Such a ridiculous idea. Kill your enemies and be done with it.
- Which words or phrases are you known for? – ‘You cannot escape,’ ‘This will not be painless or quick,’ and, ‘Tasty’.
- If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be? – Nothing. I am perfection.
- What is your motto? – Death is waiting, always.
About the Books:
From Book 1: In the Outer Islands, gods and magic rule the ocean.
Under the command of Captain Rafe Morrow, the crew of the Celestial Jewel ferry souls to the After World and defend the seas from monsters. Rafe has dedicated his life to protecting the lost, but the tides have shifted and times have changed.
His sister, the Goddess of the Moon, is on a rampage and her creatures are terrorizing the islands. The survival of the living and dead hinge on the courage and cunning of a beleaguered captain and his motley crew of men and ghosts.
What he doesn’t know is that her threat is part of a larger game. That an ancient, black-winged malevolence is using them all as pawns…
Come set sail with ghosts, gods and sea monsters.
About the Author:
A. F. Stewart was born and raised in Nova Scotia, Canada and still calls it home. She favours the dark and deadly when writing—her genres of choice being dark fantasy and horror—but she has ventured into the light on occasion. She is fond of good books, action movies, sword collecting, geeky things, comic books, and oil painting as a hobby.
Visit her website today!
SPotlight on #WIHMonth with author Af Stewart and an exclusive interview with #death. #womeninhorror #LOHF Click To Tweet